Tuesday, September 27, 2011

One Of Those Days!

Hi fellow Bloggers,

Did you ever have one of those days when everything went wrong? Yesterday started out with computer glitches. Between error messages and freeze ups, I didn't manage to accomplish a thing online until after 2 p.m.

It ran smoothly for a couple hours, then the computer gremlins attacked again. Page freezes, "Page not Found" etc. flashed on my screen. I shut down to prepare supper, praying the computer would be refreshed after its nap.

It worked fine and I edited away until my hubby (Terry) interrupted me with, "Have you seen the cell phone?"

It was 8 o'clock Monday night and I hadn't seen it since Sunday afternoon. Terry couldn't remember the last time he used it--when or where. So, I dialed the cell phone from our cordless. It didn't ring. Instead a woman's voice spat, "Your message has been forwarded to your mailbox."

Arrrrgh! I strangled the phone hoping that insolent woman would at least cough from the clench. We turned the house upside down to perform a thorough search for the missing phone. We dug between cushions, rammed our arms down inside the sofa and Lazy-Boy, moved and lifted anything that might be covering it--even looked under the bed.

When all the above proved futile, Terry walked out to the carport to search the pickup and car. I dialed the cordless three more times (to no avail) from the open door, listening for a "Brrrrinnnggg!" Nothing. Meanwhile, our black kitten, Sassy, slipped past my ankles and into formidable darkness.

Since our quest to find the cell phone proved futile, we stopped for the night. "We'll search again tomorrow," Then I said. I turned to Terry. "I just realized Sassy sneaked out when we opened the back door." I turned on the carport light, walked out and called, "Here, kitty-kitty!"

She ran toward me. "Great!" and right between my feet. Oops! I called again. The little black devil appeared out of nowhere in the darkness, 10 feet away. I crept closer planning to reach down and nab her. When I tried, Sassy streaked off again. This went on for 10 minutes. I tired and gave it up.

An hour passed. Hubby decided to give it a try. He turned on the porch light and yelled, "Sassy!" She streaked past the steps. He yelled louder, "Sas-s-s-sy! You'd better come here, young lady, if you know what's good for you." She zoomed past him again and into outer darkness. He yelled, "Just stay out, then!" and slammed the back door.

Terry waited until 10 p.m. to open the back door again. This time Sassy was ready to seek the warmth of indoors. She zipped between his feet and straight to the kitchen begging for milk.

Terry got up from his Lazy-boy in front of the TV and walked past me at the computer. He yawned. "I'm going to bed. The TV is still on. I can't find the remote.

By this time, I was ready to scream. I searched the sofa and chairs, anywhere a remote could wedge. Finally I turned the TV off manually. Argggh! I resorted to manual labor! LOL.

Then it struck me to lift the two sofa cushions where they met in the middle of the couch. Yep, there it lay, just as pretty as you please. We had a remote, and a kitten, but still no cell phone.

I finished up and went to bed, praying tomorrow would be better. Sometime during the early hours I remembered that Terry had taken a Sunday afternoon nap in the spare bedroom. Could it be....? Nah! Surely not.

When I got up this morning, I checked the spare bedroom. Guess what I found lying on the headboard shelf? Yesssirrreee! The long lost cell phone.

Isn't it funny how one incident led to another, all tied together? (Well, everything but the computer glitches.) Searching for the cell phone caused Sassy to escape into the night, and due to us ransacking the den, the lost phone was also the reason the remote control fell beneath the sofa cushions.

That was my Monday. How was yours?


Miss Mae said...

Well, not sure about mine. I dropped the cordless and killed it graveyard dead, so.....

Glad you found your phone, kitten, and remote. But these computers...aaarkkk! I wonder if they're worth it!!! LOL

Gail Pallotta said...

Hi Laurie,

Yes, I've had days like that too. It's frustrating when all the technical devices turn on you at one time. I'm glad it's all worked out now though and that kitty is safe at home too.

Laurean Brooks said...

Oh dear, Miss Mae. Graveyard dead? I guess it's time for a new cordless.

Yes, everything worked out okay. The funniest thing was I received an email from a friend this morning. She said, "Yesterday was one of the best days of my life."

I thought, "What?" I guess she got the good luck and I was left holding the bag...full of nasty tricks. LOL.

Laurean Brooks said...


Sometimes it seems like these devices get together and plan to turn on you at the same time. LOL.

Yes, we are blessed that everything turned out well, especially independent Sassy, when she made up her mind to come inside.

Larry Hammersley said...

Laurie: What a go around you had. I hope you don't have another Monday like that one. Let us hope the kompewter doesn't act up again. That must be awfully frustrating. The least little bit and I'm on the phone calling Comcast.

Laurean Brooks said...

Larry, I hear you. I try to put off calling the techs as long as I can. I end up asking, "What? Could you repeat that?" because they are usually from India or some other foreign country.

Donna B said...

LOL...ummm fine...sorry. But there are days...now Sunday on the other hand was a total blitzkrieg!!! But I chalk that up to the devil since I sang the special that morning - Keith Green's "Here I Am, Send Me" - I guess I made myself a target. LOL God is good!

Rachel Rossano said...

I am glad that everything worked out, though definitely as you wanted. Yes, I have those days too, frequently. Thanks for sharing yours. :)

Laurean Brooks said...


Yep! The devil will do that. But hang in there. "Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world."

Laurean Brooks said...


Only through prayer. We both went to bed praying that everything would work out.

The Lord is faithful.

Thank you for you well wishes.

Gina said...

Oh my gosh! What a series of annoying incidents! OK, that's my printable version - really, I would be saying what a **** bunch of *** messed up *** and *** *** stuff!
Seriously, thanks for a great post. Helps to keep things in perspective. And I'm glad it all worked out.

Laurean Brooks said...

Thanks for commenting, Regina. It was a hectic evening. I kept muttering "This too shall pass," under my breath. Through gritted teeth, of course. LOL

Diane Craver said...

Glad you found the cell phone. We've had stuff fall between our couch cushions. That's great you kept a sense of humor when everything was giving you problems.

Laurean Brooks said...


I have a confession to make. I DIDN'T keep a sense of humor while everything was happening. It's only funny after the fact. LOL.

Thank you for stopping by.

Anne K. Albert said...

That's the thing, Laurean, it'a ALWAYS funny after the fact. In the midst? Infuriating!!